Restylane is the most well known dermal filler in the United States, known for its safety, efficacy and longstanding results. Restylane is made out of hyaluronic acid which closely resembles the same substance that occurs naturally in the body. By replenishing the level of hyaluronic acid in the skin, fillers can immediately soften lines and wrinkles seen with aging (such as the nasolabial folds) and enhance natural features such as the lips or cheeks. Restylane is injected with a very fine needle during a comfortable procedure that requires no downtime. Because Restylane does not contain any animal-derived ingredients, no skin test is required.
Results are immediate and one should expect to leave the office with natural appearing, softer facial contours and a revitalized appearance.
What areas can be treated?
Restylane treatments can be used to smooth out facial lines, create fuller lips and shape facial contours, such as cheeks and chin. It is a subtle approach to enhancing looks naturally. The most common uses of Restylane are:
- Wrinkle correction
- Diminishing worry lines, smile lines, crow’s feet, marionette lines at corners of the mouth, and smoker’s lines
- Lip enhancement
- Reducing the severity of nasolabial folds
- Chin augmentation
- Filling cheek depressions
- Redefining lip border
- Softening acne scars
- Filling hollows under the eyes
- Creating a temporary eyebrow lift
- Correcting facial depressions caused by fat loss
- Softening the appearance of jowls
How long does it take to see the results and how long does the Restylane treatment effect last?
The beneficial effects of Restylane are noticed immediately and actually improve over the first weeks as the product absorbs water.
One of the great advantages of RESTYLANE is that the effects are long lasting but not permanent. You are always in control of your looks. Lip enhancement: follow-up treatment is normally needed in about 6 months. Duration depends on many factors, such as skin type, lifestyle, age, the degree of perfection demanded by the patient and the injection technique of the practitioner. Facial lines and facial shaping follow-up treatments are usually needed after 6-9 months whereas lip enhancement results last about 6 months.
Part of what determines the longevity is whether enough volume is used initially to correct the volume defect. Ideal results may require more than one syringe of Restylane.
Do Restylane treatments hurt?
Restylane injections are well tolerated. For patients that desire it, a topical anesthetic can be used. For areas like the lips, local anesthetic injections like at the dentist, are used to numb the treatment area.
Is there any downtime with Restylane?
You may notice slight swelling, redness or bruising following Restylane injections, not unlike any other injection. When they occur, these effects are temporary and don’t generally interfere with any activities. With lip enhancement, the swelling may last a few days so chosen a good time for this treatment is advised. Longer periods of inflammation and swelling are quite rare.
It is advisable to avoid sunbathing, exercise, alcohol and cold outdoor activities for six hours after treatment.
Are there situations where Restylane or other fillers should be avoided?
Restylane should not be used in areas of active skin infection, including herpes outbreaks. Restylane hasn’t been tested in pregnant or breast-feeding women.
What should I do prior to treatment?
For a one week period before injections, It is advisable to avoid taking St. John’s wart, high doses of vitamin E, aspirin, advil, nuprin and any other agents that can increase bruising. If you are prone to cold sores we may want to institute antiviral therapy before injecting the lips.
What would I do in the unlikely event that I wasn’t happy with the results?
The most common reason for disappointment with filler injections is inadequate volume being utilized. It may take more than one syringe of Restylane to fully correct the defect being treated. In the scenario of an undercorrection, further injections will offer additional improvement. In the rare case of overcorrection, time is the best healer. Since Restylane® is gradually absorbed by the body, the extra volume will gradually fade away.
What happens if I discontinue Restylane® treatment?
Medically, there is no reason why Restylane® use cannot be terminated at any time. Recent studies have established the fact that in addition to replenishing lost volume in the skin. Filler injections actually cause collagen synthesis in the body as well.
Can Restylane be used with BOTOX Cosmetic, lasers or with other dermal fillers?
It is very common to combine dermal filler injections such as Restylane with other aesthetic treatments including BOTOX Cosmetic, laser resurfacing or other fillers.
The synergy obtained by combining aesthetic treatments can be quite remarkable. Many of these treatments can be performed on the same day for your convenience.
The comprehensive array of aesthetic treatments offered at Reflections affords you the opportunity to receive the most cutting edge therapies customized to your needs.
The Restylane family of products includes Restylane®, Restylane-L®, Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine, Restylane® Silk, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne.
- Restylane® and Restylane-L® are for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane® and Restylane-L® are also indicated for injection into the lips
- Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine is for deep implantation into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds and for cheek augmentation and for the correction of age-related midface contour deficiencies
- Restylane® Silk is for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral wrinkles
- Restylane® Refyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds
- Restylane® Defyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe deep facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds